Monday, June 18, 2012

What's The Pointe?

If anyone read my last post, I just wanted to finish that up by saying that I eventually found a wonderful studio that teaches adults ballet. It is not a fitness ballet class, it is a true ballet  class that teaches adults the very basics and beyond.
Also whether it was the improvements in my posture or my mood (ballet helped both tremendously), my chronic shoulder and neck pain slowly subsided. The improvements were impressive.
I loved everything about it. Everyone there was a true beginner like myself, and the teachers were so encouraging. I had class 2 times a week for about 6 months. Our class had even progressed from "new adult beginning" to "adult
beginning", which felt like a huge accomplishment  considering when I started I didn't even know what a tendu was.
Ballet was the highlight of my week, but due to my work/school schedule I had to take a break from it for some time. I thought it would only be a few months, but months turned into years and now I'm back at square one.
I've missed it so much, and now I've got a new perspective on the whole thing. When it first occurred to me that I wanted to learn ballet, I had no idea it was even possible. I thought it was just a silly idea that would just pass like so many other things I've tried in my life. Ballet is different. It's like a highly addictive drug, once you've had a taste of it you're hooked.
I know will probably never achieve the grace of a prima ballerina. I also understand that I may never dance on pointe shoes. But... that's really not the point, it's also not gonna stop me from trying.
I don't need those things in order to enjoy ballet. That's what's so great about learning as an adult. There's no pressure, just pure enjoyment.
It is my goal to dance on pointe one day, even if it is only very basic and mostly at the barre. I have already singed up for summer classes at my favorite studio, and once I've developed the courage (hopefully soon) I will start trying out studios in my area that offer open classes.
My goals are to take 4 classes a week and to start pointe work within the next 2 years. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm hoping that with the determination and patience of a ballerina I will be able to get there someday.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get your point, Bibi. Sometimes, being able to learn and experience the basic ballet skills are already enough and satisfying. The important thing is that you get to enjoy every single moment and that you get to apply and appreciate everything that you discovered from the process. I hope you’re having a great time, my friend. Ciao!

    Tyson Sieger

    ReplyDelete