Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Trying Out a Different Studio

So I've been taking classes twice a week for aboout 4 months now. I'm feeling a bit stagnant with my progress. Initially I was super excited to be back into it, and after being very inactive for about 2 years, I saw changes fairly quickly. My legs are more toned, I can see the muscles in my inner thigh, and my posture is also better. After the first month though, I seemed to have plateaued. I was expecting this because it's totally normal, but I've been wanting to take more classes for some time now and I figured it could only help. I'd take more classes at the same studio if it were closer to home, the commute plus the cost of classes is a bit much for my wallet.
I've been reluctant to try a new studio because most of the adult classes in my area are ongoing, and having practically no dance experience not knowing the combinations is very intimidating. Not only that but ballet is a very precise dance form and when the tempo is too fast for me my technique becomes pretty much non existent.
I was feeling a bit brave last week and felt like maybe I was ready to try one of the on going classes at a studio minutes from my house. The barre was good, I had some trouble with the frappes and fondus because I've never really done them other than a couple of times a couple of years back. No biggie I thought, I'll get the hang of it eventually. But then we moved on to the center, I'm laughing just thinking  about it. I just could not keep up. I felt bad that the teacher and students had to witness such a thing. In my current class we still do our barre work while facing the bar so my arms just would not cooperate. I understood the combinations but it was as though my body just would not react quickly enough. Needless to say I was somewhat of a disaster in the center. The teacher was patient but seemed a bit confused as to why I just wasn't getting it.
I had been to this studio a couple of years ago, in fact my first ballet class was at this very studio, but it was also at this studio where I almost gave up. The barre work and combinations in the center are just too overwhelming for someone with no training. I was hoping that maybe I could handle it since I'm not a complete novice but I'm not quite there yet :(
I'm gonna keep trying a few studios though. hopefully can find something at my level because ideally I'd like to be taking classes at least 3 days a week, 2 is just not enough for me.

6 comments:

  1. This is a problem I have sometimes too, but I was lucky that a community centre near my home started a new class for absolute beginners. It was a little slow for my liking at first, having been to once-a-week classes for a couple of years, but because it is more structured in the way it is taught I can see a great improvement, and am even preparing for an examination (a low low level of course)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Su, thank you for your response. My current class started as an absolute beginner's class and I LOVE it, but it's only two times a week. I really feel like learning from the absolute beginning is the only way to truly learn ballet. I want to take more classes because I really want to see improvements in my strength and balance, I'm reluctant to practice at home because I don't want to develop any bad habits. How many classes do you take per week? Do you practice at home? Congrats on your upcoming exam! Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bibi! The exam went all right even though I was very nervous... I attend about four classes a week now, and two of them are coaching classes that my teacher just opened up for extra practice (to prepare for the exams). I don't really practice at home - there just isn't enough space! I do stretching and the like at home though, but I don't know if they help...

      Delete
    3. Hi Su, I'm glad your exam went well. I'd be nervous too... I get nervous when my teacher walks by me during combinations, makes me mess up almost every time lol. I've decided I'm going to practice at home since it does seem to help. I'm looking into getting a mirror and barre for practice.

      Delete
  2. A very familiar story, as I have also struggled with classes that are past my ability. I believe it's detrimental to adult dancers to have to put up it. I do have some advice that you might want to consider...

    ~Go slow. Do the whole combo in half time if you need to. Stay off to the side/back and focus solely on yourself. The other students should understand - they were beginners too, once!

    ~Ask for a variant of the combination. A teacher worth his/her salt should give the more beginner students a different version of the combination, often focusing on fewer elements.

    ~ASK AND QUESTION. Ask for a breakdown of the movement. If your class is similar to other adult classes I've been in, good chances the other students are not proficient in the combo either, and are probably flailing a bit as well. They probably would welcome a breakdown.

    ~If that fails, leave after the barre. It's not worth throwing your technique down the toilet. Even consider asking the instructor is there is a possibility of paying 2/3s of the class price. Maybe *that* will make them take note and start adjusting to their clients. It's YOUR money and your training.

    I hope you can find satisfaction in class. I have left many, many classes in tears, and it's only now (5 years of ballet) that I finally feel like I'm achieving success in the intermediate classes. If you can't pick up a combo after 2-3 times, it's too difficult. Try not to beat yourself up! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your advice and encouraging words! Makes me feel lots better. I just found out that my current studio will be offering more beginner classes soon. I may be able to take more classes there on the same days that I'm already commuting which would be awesome!

      Delete